I’m putting up a profile on match.com and want to know if you have any tips about being safe when using internet dating sites? Can you give me some suggestions please?
Katie in Scarsdale, NY
There are a number of things you can do to help guard your safety with online dating:
1. Use a different email address than your regular one and don’t use your last name in it.
2. Don’t give out any personal information, like where you live (the town is OK) or your last name.
3. When it’s time to go from email to the telephopne, ask the guy for his phone number. Block caller ID before
making a call – just hit *67 – I believe that’s the number – then dial his number even if it’s long distance.
4. Or, give out your cell number– there’s no way to look up your address with a cell phone number.
If you are really nervous about meeting men, whether from the Internet or a blind date:
1. Meet at Barnes and Noble or Borders where they have a cafe or Starbucks. These places have well lit parking
lots with plenty of people all the time which helps keep you safe.
2. Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to be back. Let the person know if you decide to stay longer so they don’t worry and someone knows where you are.
3. Keep your first meeting short – no marathon dates. Don’t let it run into dinner. If he asks you to stay for dinner – suggest getting together another day.
4. Don’t get into a man’s car who you don’t know. Not even for a few harmless smooches. Don’t let him pick you up either until you ‘ve had a few dates and trust him. Drive your own car and meet him.
Keep this in mind:
Out of the 1,500 people who I have spoken with, I have never heard one bad story. Not one. So all these ideas are just for precaution. Do them for your own peace of mind,
For the most part, you are perfectly safe and 99.9% of the men you meet are just regular guys. As long as you are smart, you have little to worry about except whether or not you like your date or if he’ll ask you out again.
Smile, be friendly and have fun! People meet and fall in love every day from the Internet. Why not you?
Single for too long, Ronnie wanted to find love. So, she made a few tweaks and then dated 30 men in 15 months to meet her adorable husband Paul. Discovering the keys to midlife dating, she founded It’s Never Too Late for Love to help other smart, successful women find love too! Her mission is to share her proven dating advice and keen insights about men with women everywhere who are serious about finding love with the right man. Ronnie Ann Ryan, MBA, CCC is a Certified Coach who has helped 1,000’s of midlife women with her Love & Dating Coach services. She’s been featured on BBC’s 5 Live Radio, NBC, ABC, and Fox News, NPR, eHarmony, MSN.com, MORE.com, Connecticut Magazine among others around the world. An established author, you can find her 6 books on Amazon.