Online Dating: Does your profile scare men away?
I know dating is not easy. And online dating causes a lot of stress for many women dating over 40 (or any age). You might think finding love online should be a natural process that’s easy and quick. It should be obvious how it works Unfortunately, none of this is true.
That’s why I know you are doing things that make it harder. I want to help you understand how online dating works so you can start attracting more men.
1. Don’t criticize men. It doesn’t matter what your past experience have been, do not disparage men. Men are actually quite sensitive to criticism. So when you berate certain guys, most men reading your profile will imagine you as a critical woman who is difficult to please.
2. Don’t try to prevent specific types of men from contacting you. It may seem smart to explain who you aren’t interested in dating like couch potatoes, players, men who aren’t geographically desirable or those who wink. Going back to point #1 – men will just see this as critical even if they don’t fit the description. When the wrong men email you, just delete them.
3. Don’t talk about what you don’t want. This is a negative approach and will keep you from appearing light-hearted and positive. When you focus on what you want to avoid, you often end up getting more of it. If you ever read The Secret, or saw the movie, that’s how the Law of Attraction works. Focus on what you do want for a better chance of getting it!
4. Don’t include everything you expect a man to do for you. This makes you sound demanding which is not attractive. Men like women who are easy to please. Yes, you want to be treated well and you can mention a couple of things. But avoid a big laundry list or you’ll be out of luck.
5. Don’t act like you need a man to save you. Just like you, men are attracted to confident, happy people. If your life is empty of joy, take steps to enrich it. Find activities you enjoy, try new things and meet new girlfriends. Expecting a man to fill your life is a recipe for disaster. No one person can do everything for you. Men know this and will steer clear of you.
6. Don’t talk about your independence. Men want to feel needed the same way you do. You may think you are doing a good thing to let men know you are self-sufficient. But that could work against you. Women who are staunchly independent send a strong message that they don’t NEED a man. Of course you don’t, but why stress that point? Its not attractive and makes you look like you prefer to be alone.
7. Don’t say you’re super busy. I can’t tell you how many men complain about this one! If you are too busy to email, to talk on the phone, to get together, you are too busy to date him! If you want a long-term romantic partner , please make yourself available and make dating a priority in your life. I’m not kidding – this is huge. Men are turned off by Ms. Busy-All-the-Time
Online dating is bigger than ever with more than 40 million people online in the US alone. Put these profile writing tips to work for you so you can meet more men and find the right one for you.