Was your desire to find love a 2013 resolution?
With the new year here, you may be reflecting on the last 12 months thinking about what you did and didn’t accomplish. I was talking to a dating coaching client a few days ago who told me honestly how disappointed she was. Another year had gone by without finding love. She felt sad and disheartened.
We talked about how her feelings were real and understandable. I suggested she work through them and find a way to let them go. This way, she can start the New Year with a clean slate and an open mind. Optimism is so important for you to find love. A positive outlook helps you be so much more attractive – especially energetically.
If you want to find love, here are 3 super simple tips to help you take steps and make finding love a priority in your life.
1. Know What You Want – That might seem obvious or overly simple, but it’s a valid requirement and necessary. If you don’t know what you want in a life and romantic partner, take the time to give it some serious thought. As a dating coach for women over 40, I can tell you that making a list helps you clarify the qualities you want in a man. As long as you don’t use this list to reject every man, it’s a productive and helpful exercise.
Don’t be one of those women who say, “I’ll know him when I see him,” because that probably won’t work. Or just take the first guy who pays attention to you since you might not be compatible. If you are serious about finding love, then think about the personality and character of the man you hope to love. Do you want a partner who is sweet, talkative, social, smart, fun-loving, affectionate? You get the idea. Go ahead and make that list.
2. Take Action – Wishing for love is one thing. Finding love is another. If you want to meet men, you’ll have to make yourself available and that requires taking action. That means you have to go out! Where should you go to find men?
- Attend Meetup.com events
- Go to singles dances
- Listen to live music
- Ask your friends to set you up on blind dates
- Try online dating
Without taking action, the chances of you finding love are quite slim. As you know, Mr. Wonderful won’t knock on your door (unless you’re willing to date the pizza delivery guy).
3. Make Time – So many of my clients tell me they really don’t have time to date. Work is crazy, kids have to be driven all over town, household chores pile up. I understand, trust me. But here’s the truth, if you don’t have time to date, you don’t have time for love. It takes the same amount of your attention and time.
Women talk about how dating is such a waste of time. Who wants to spend so much time with all the wrong guys? The problem is, you can’t find love with the right guy if you don’t meet a whole bunch of guys. That’s just how it is. So instead of thinking you are wasting your precious and limited time, think about it this way…
Every man you meet:
- Is an opportunity to practice your feminine charm
- Builds your confidence and dating skills
- Helps you figure out what will and won’t work
- Brings you one man closer to the right man for you
As my friend, Vermont matchmaker Nicole from Compatibles always says, “No one ever looks back after finding love to say ‘What a waste of time that was.'”
So, I ask you, is this your year for love? If you can say “YES” enthusiastically, then yeah for you! You’ve got the right attitude to find love and make this year count.