How friendly are you? If you are a normally friendly person, than saying hello to a handsome man might not be that much of a stretch for you. But do you take this step? Today more than ever, people can feel isolated, especially with techie methods like texting, email and social networking. These new ways to communicate are making it harder to do the very same thing in person.
What a shame! Why you ask? Because, in-person social skills can be the best way to meet loads of new men. Right now I’m reading the Millionaire Matchmaker’s new book – Be Your Own Matchmaker: 8 Easy Steps for Attracting Your Perfect Mate and she has a whole chapter on where to meet men. But if you aren’t the friendly type with a willingness to meet strangers, all of these great opportunities will pass you by.
Are the type who gets sweaty palms at the thought of coming up with an opening line? There’s only one cure for shyness and that is to practice breaking out of your wallflower routine. The first few times you approach someone may seem terrifying. but, by the third or fourth experience, you’ll get more comfortable after realizing that most people are open to your friendly smile and that you manage to stay alive through the process.
Let me share a few tips that can help you take the risk to strike up a conversation with a good looking stranger.
1) If you’re really quaking at the thought, start with children and older people. No romantic risk and no looking foolish when you start with these types. You’ll discover how easy it can be and that you might make someone’s day with a little smile and nice comment.
2) Talk to people with babies or dogs – that makes it easy to think up something to say. Wherever you go, you can certainly find one or the other.
3) Talk to people in line at the bank or the grocery store. You can make comments on what is in the shopping cart.
Once you start to feel more confident with these lower risk options, you can up the ante by starting to talk to men you find attractive. I read some place that you shouldn’t wait longer than 10 seconds once you set your sights on someone to break the ice. Why? Because any longer than that and you are thinking too much and will talk yourself out of it!
Try any of these simply ice breakers:
- What a beautiful day!
- Sure is chilly outside.
- I love your sweater (jacket, shirt, tie, watch)
- Can you tell me how to get to…?
- Do you know any good restaurants around here?
- Isn’t the band great tonight?
- What are you eating? That looks yummy.
Don’t these one liners seem easy? That’s because they are! Try anyone of these lines or make up your own. Keep it simple and you’ll be all set. Most men appreciate light attention from a pretty, smiling woman. Honestly what could be so bad right? It’s down right flattering
To close the conversation, try one of these lines. It’s good to "wrap things up" with a nice finish.
- It was so nice meeting you. I hope I get to know you better.
- Nice meeting you. Maybe I’ll bump into you again sometime.
- Good talking with you. Maybe we can do it again sometime.
Don’t worry about getting his phone number or giving yours. If he’s interested, he’ll take care of that. One word about rejection. If you meet a man once, and it doesn’t escalate or he doesn’t get your number, don’t worry about it. It’s all good practice and he wasn’t the right guy. The right man won’t let you get away! Trust me.
Keep it light in your mind and let go of any pressure. And keep being friendly. You have absolutely nothing to lose. So make his day and yours by smiling at and talking to perfect strangers.